Coronavirus Pandemic Survival Guide
(Originally Published March 9, 2020)
We as individuals and as a country need to first recognize that this is part of God’s divine judgement of sin on earth. We are all guilty! Secondly, we need to humble ourselves, get on our knees, accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Finally we all must confess all of our sins, ask God for forgiveness, and resolve to live lives that are pleasing to Him.
This is a quick guide put together for the public to prepare for the Wuhan coronavirus (i.e., COVID-19 which is also called SARS-CoV-2) pandemic. It contains a list of supplies needed to stay protected. The model numbers and links for gloves and face masks refer to size medium.
Fresh Food and Groceries
You can get your groceries delivered to your door from your local Whole Foods through Amazon’s website. Prices online are the same as in-store prices, although online specials and promotions may not be available in-store and vice-versa. New grocery delivery customers may be elegible to receive a $10 discount on their first order. While you’re at, it be sure to sign-up for Amazon Prime Membership.
Hertz is Offering Free Car Rentals to NYC Healthcare Workers
Hertz passed this offer along via email on March 26, 2020. It good through April 30, 2020, but I imagine they will extend it. Be sure to first sign-up on their site to become a member of their Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program. The program is free to join!
Low-cost Respiratory and Biohazard Protection Strategies
March 31, 2020 Update: Many of the below protection supplies on Amazon may either be sold out or have increased in price. So as a backup, we suggest you also head over to eBay for additional options.
Wear protective biohazard gear when going out it public or interacting with others.
- 90%+ Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol: 70% should suffice, but why not go “whole hog” and purchase 90% concentration?
- Disposable Nitrile Gloves (100 pack): $10.01 as of March 9, 2020
- 3M Half Facepiece Mask (Model 7502): $38.29 – $38.94 as of March 9, 2020
- 3M Full Facepiece Reusable Respirator (Model 6800): $36.98 as of March 9, 2020. (Full ebay search results sorted by Price)
- 3M 60926 Multi Gas, Vapor Cartridge Filter (Model 60926): $30.17 as of March 9, 2020. These come in packs of 2. They are needed for the full and half-face masks. The model 60926 filters are the most comprehensive as they filter-out gases and volatile organic compounds.
Military-grade Respiratory and Biohazard Protection
ILC Dover is a US-headquartered firm that sells biohazard containment and protection equipment to the defense and medical industries. They sell biohazard suits and headpieces with built-in Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) units. For survival and protection in hostile urban environments we recommend their Sentinel XL® CBRN PAPR system
CBRN – Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense
Conclusions from the Lancet and JAMA: Covid-19 is Highly Contagious
The the covid-19 coronavirus s highly contagious.
The authors of a paper in the Lancet have estimated that the rate of infection doubles every 6.4 days, assuming no mitigation strategies taken. So, as of March 1, 2020, the amount of infected persons in Wuhan would be approximately 4.9 million assuming no quarantines or other health mitigation strategies.
Another paper in JAMA asserts that viral shedding by infected persons is highly proliferous. The virus is readily transported through the air by aerosols, droplets, and water vapor produced by coughs, human breathing, and other respiratory emissions. It can survive up to 9 days on contaminated surfaces. The virus is abundantly present in fecal matter of infected patients.
- According to authors in JAMA, recovered patients may be lifelong carriers of the virus (i.e., viral reservoirs) and thus would continue to infect others:
All 4 [discharged] patients had 2 consecutive negative RT-PCR test results [before their discharge]. The time from symptom onset to recovery ranged from 12 to 32 days. After hospital discharge or discontinuation of quarantine, the patients were asked to continue the quarantine protocol at home for 5 days. The RT-PCR tests were repeated 5 to 13 days later [after recovery] and all were positive.
These findings suggest that at least a proportion of recovered patients still may be virus carriers.Although no family members were infected, all reported patients were medical professionals and took special care during home quarantine.
- Another JAMA research letter suggests (based on clinical observations in China) that portions of the infected population are perpetual asymptomatic carriers. At the same time they remain highly infectious do to viral shedding:
After development of disease in her relatives, patient 1 [asymptomatic female carrier] was isolated and observed. As of February 11, she [asymptomatic female carrier] had no elevated temperature measured or self-reported fever and no gastrointestinal or respiratory symptoms, including cough and sore throat, reported or observed by the physicians. Chest CT images on January 27 and 31 showed no significant abnormalities. Her C-reactive protein level and lymphocyte count were normal (Table). Results of RT-PCR testing were negative on January 26, positive on January 28, and negative on February 5 and 8.
- Recovered male patients may have a higher risk of infertility and testicular cancer
- It is possible that covid-19 is man-made virus. Researchers and doctors in Taiwan and France have theorized that was inadvertently exposed to the public from a bio-warfare research lab in Wuhan China. Wuhan is the only city in China that has a bio-warfare lab that holds strains of Ebola, MERS, and SARS viruses.