Overview: Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) Program
Code Sport’s EIR program is designed for experienced Software Engineers who seek to keep their technical skills sharp while finding a supportive network to launch their own startup or join others in launching one.
Our mission is to provide our Engineers a fertile environment to explore, foster, and launch innovative businesses spanning the Blockchain, CyberSecurity, Artificial Intelligence, and Finance sectors.
To this end, Code Sport is our means of networking, sharing knowledge, collaborating on projects, and launching new businesses!
Keep Your Coding Skills Sharp, Launch Your Idea, Get Recognition
You are your own boss and you determine your level of involvement. We give you the opportunity to grow, learn, and get funding for your ideas.
- Direct Access to Venture Capital Investors and Financing
- Letters of recommendation and professional references
- Equity or cash for Team Member Projects You Contribute to†
- Access to Our Corporate Job Bank. There are Urgent Hiring needs for Engineers with any of the below skills:
- Low‐level Languages: C++, Java, Assembly (x86/x64, ARM, PPC, MIPS)
- Cyber Security: Web Server, Network, Cloud, and Endpoint
- Database Admin: MongoDB; MySQL; SQL Database Design and Query Optimization
- Web3, Blockchain: Solidity, Hardhat, Ethers.js, React
- UI/UX Design: Tailwind, Bootstrap, jQuery, HTML5
- ServiceNow: Admins and Engineers
- Access to a Pool of Developers to Help you Make your Project into A Real Business
If you need structured environment with a buffet of benefits, we’ll provide it to you. If you prefer to “fly solo” and go a la carte, we give you that freedom.
You will make new friends, master new technologies, expand your portfolio of projects, network with the most innovative tech companies, and get free technical and soft skills training.
There is no cost to join or participate. Additionally, your involvement is expected to be 100% remote and online.
†NB: Equity awards are subject to terms and vesting periods pre-determined by the Project Manager. Cash payments are dependent on investor funding and/or hackathon competition wins
This is a unique opportunity to join our small but growing community of software developers, engineers, and hackers. Here are the benefits of joining. Click below to read more about our benefits:
Show More Benefits
- Gain a network of friends and contacts within the tech industry
- Free 1-on-1 and small group coding skills training from our members
- Need technical references for a new career opportunity? Members of our community that you have collaborated with will be happy to serve as professional and industry references
- Do you have ideas for a new business or a tech startup? Through our network, we can provide seed and angel funding to get your best ideas off the ground.
- Opportunities to team up with Code Sport in Hackathons and share in prize money if we win
- Have a voice in our Governance and external partnership initiatives
- Free soft skills and leadership training provided by our founder
- Are you a freelancer? Or maybe you need to onboard other software developers to help you on a big project? Tap our community as a resource
- Weekly opportunities to learn and collaborate with other Code Sport team members
- Free career counseling, resume reviews, and tech interview workshops
- Exclusive invitations to live conferences and online seminars in the Blockchain and Financial Services Industries
- Recognition for your contributions to the community
At the end of the day, we leave it up to you to determine how much time you want to commit. But keep the following three concepts in mind:
- Many of us wish we could use our free time more productively. Honestly, is watching 3 hours of netflix each night and spending 4 hours a day on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, etc making us better people?
- The members of the Code Sport community have realized that the alternative… having conversations with, contributing to, and engaging with members of the Code Sport community is more meaningful and rewarding – both professionally and personally.
- The benefits of being part of the Code Sport community will depend on you. Someone who puts in 2 to 3 hours a day will benefit more than someone who invest just 30 minutes a week.
What is the Use of Being Human if We Can’t Help Others?
The value of any network is proportional to the value and frequency of the contributions of its members.
To this end, we ask that you contribute something of value to the Code Sport community on a periodic basis. Each of us has talent. And we each have the capacity to change the world for the better. Why not amplify your impact by sharing it with those who can benefit? You will get community recognition and credit for all your contributions.
Here are some ideas and suggestions to help get you started:
- Join us to participate in online Hackathons
- Contribute a tutorial to our blog and share something in which you have expertise
- Know of an upcoming conference or seminar? Share it with the community so others will benefit!
- Volunteer as an ad hoc mentor to a junior-level Software Engineer within our community
- Share your knowledge with our community by hosting an online class or tech talk (i.e., short seminar)
Show More Suggestions
- Help members of our community launch new businesses by contributing code. Concerned about equity, compensation, or recognition? We will work with you to make sure everyone is treated fairly
- Contribute open source code and projects to our GitHub repo
- Share your knowledge by recording a video tutorial on our Youtube channel
- Provide feedback on what we can do better to serve our community of developers and engineers
- Help us curate and post links to high quality tutorials and online conferences
- Know PHP or WordPress? Want to learn? We are redesigning out website. Why not contribute and help us?
- Help us moderate our social media channels on either YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or Discord
- Do you have a friend working with a tech company? Invite them to hold a 15-minute Zoom career talk or an Ask Me Anything (AMA) about their experience and what they love about their current role!
Prior Computer Programming Experience Is Required
Although comprehensive training is provided, this opportunity is best suited for individuals with prior computer programming experience. As such, those with hands-on expertise in low-level languages such as Java and C++ are strongly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Email us your latest resume along with a link to your GitHub repo if available. Feel free to mention any projects you need help getting off the ground! Don’t forget to help us understand how you would like to contribute to our community and its growth. Our email is
Code Sport was founded in January 2013 as a WordPress design studio called Code Boss Interactive. In fall 2013, we converted to a code school in Durham, NC. We subsequently held our first class at Duke University in February 2014.
In 2017, we relocated from Duke University to Research Triangle Park. In September 2020 we completed our transition from being a code school to becoming a Software Development and Engineering Incubator. With this transition, we have reinvented ourselves as “Code Sport Labs”. We are now a 100% remote collective with members from all over the globe!
Our mission is to provide a fertile environment to collaborate, explore, and launch innovative businesses spanning the Blockchain, CyberSecurity, Artificial Intelligence, and Finance sectors using software and data analytics.